Nature-Allied Therapy & Maternal Mental Health with Dr. Allison DavisAug 09, 2021
This past January I recorded a podcast episode on nature therapy for maternal mental health. If you missed it, give it a listen!
Learn about nature therapy and how it can help support your mental health and wellness as a mother. I share about my orientation as an nature therapist and a bit about how it transforms the conventional psychological approach to maternal mental wellness.
In this episode, I share:
- The main mental health assumptions of ecopsychology and nature therapy (applied ecopsychology)
- How a human-centered "anthropocentric"mindset is rooted in values of control and domination
- How nature therapy transforms our approach to mental health and wellness
- What it means to approach developmental challenges of mothering from a wellness and strength-based model rather than a medical model
- Why we have to consider personal, social, cultural, and enviornmental dimensions of mental wellness in our healing journeys
- What I mean when I say mental health is both personal and planetary (Roszak)
- How I see my mothering clients resonate with this approach: including ecogrief, alienation from modern mothering consumption, and the importance of spirituality
- The first stage of nature therapy, or "upwork" (Clineball)
- Why your therapist's theoretical orientation is important
Connect with me and podcast listeners on Instagram @motherpraxis
Sign up for my newsletter to get my ebook Motherhood as an Ecological Awakening!
I won't send spam. You can unsubscribe at any time.